Liver cancer is cancer that begins in the cells of your liver. Your liver is a football-sized organ that sits in the upper right portion of your abdomen, beneath your diaphragm and above your stomach.
Several types of cancer can form in the liver. The most common type of liver cancer is hepatocellular carcinoma, which begins in the main type of liver cell (hepatocyte). Other types of liver cancer, such as intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma and hepatoblastoma, are much less common.
- Type 2 diabetes
- Family history
- Heavy alcohol use
- Long-term exposure to aflatoxins
- Low immunity
- Chronic infection with HBV or HCV
- Certain inherited liver diseases.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.
- Exposure to aflatoxins.
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Drink alcohol in moderation, if at all.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Use caution with chemicals
- Know the health status of any sexual partner.
- Don't use intravenous (IV) drugs, but if you do, use a clean needle.
- Seek safe, clean shops when getting a piercing or tattoo